Wednesday 23 September 2015

INSIDE BIGOT'S HEAD : HOW THE MAD MAN THINKS..... 

The other night at the Slaughter House BC ,  board 17 produced the following hand :

















Bigot opened 1S  and on hearing a 2NT reply from partner immediately jumped to 6S. Not surprisingly , West laid down the King of clubs for the opening lead.  With dummy's hand now exposed , we can now enter declarer's world to discover the thoughts that flashed into his mind as the play unfolded.......
" Fuck me.....that's not the dummy I was hoping for......Christ almighty I got 2 diamond losers with nothing to pitch them on..........this is a disaster......Ah well... I'll take this first trick and go over to dummy with a spade......what now ?...........Ah yes......I can play the jack of clubs from dummy and pitch a diamond.....but my LHO will take his queen , see what I've ditched and fire back a diamond for sure.......the tosser.......So maybe ......just maybe......pitching a small heart might work ......because if he instinctively switches to a heart I'm home.... "
So at trick 3 Bigot leads the jack of clubs and pitches a small heart.....careful not to remove the last spade for fear of a signal from East calling for a diamond. Sure enough West dives in with his club queen and plays back a heart. 
" What a prat.....the silly bugger has fallen for it......now I'm going to watch him squirm as I draw the last trump. unblock the hearts......enter dummy again with a trump .....and lob away my two losing diamonds on the king of hearts and the established ten of clubs.....sheer bliss.......how I love this game.....but thank bloody God he didn't take note of his partner's 4 of clubs on the play of the jack as a suit preference signal......he knows damn well that East started with three , so the play of the 4 after the 3 must be a signal for diamonds in anybody's book....."
So as it happens Bigot made this unlikely slam , only to brag about it to countless folk in the bar afterwards.  




No comments: