Tuesday 14 July 2015

REBECCA ROOD'S MAILBAG..............

Dear Rebecca ,
How is it that whenever I'm dummy I immediately know how the hand should be played, even though I am not able to see what is in declarer's hand.
Yet the strange thing is that when I'm declarer my partner instantly knows what needs to be done to steer the contract home. Seeing just one hand seems to be far more enlightening than seeing both. So how do you explain this conundrum ? 

Yours utterly perplexed,
                        John from Manchester


Dear John ,
Since the world of bridge is so surreal and bizarre , nothing should ever shock or amaze you. Accept that fact that many aspects of the game will seem absurd. Accept the fact that mysteries of bridge will forever remain unsolved. In this game anything and everything is possible. Indeed paradoxes are the norm.
Quite frankly I haven't got a bloody clue as to why this particular phenomenon exists but it clearly does. I've experienced this absurdity so many times myself.
Perhaps dummy's main advantage is that he/she is under no pressure at all , being able to think without distraction or worry. Declarer on the other hand has to decide which line of play offers the best chance of making the contract , and/or securing a match winning result. With so much to consider he may take his eye of the ball.... especially if dummy is giving him a look of utter disdain , disapproval or disbelief. 

Yours just as perplexed, 
                      Rebecca





No comments: