Friday 6 September 2013


AT LONG
LAST A

CHANCE
TO SEE
WHO BIGOT-
JOHNSON

REALLY IS
.......
.......
This is me , John Howard Gibson ,  just a few years ago when holding my grandson for the second time , as he lives unfortunately on the far side of the globe. Nearer to home .....about 500 yards away.... I have two gorgeous granddaughters who I see almost on a daily basis. I am a lucky man.
Born in 1948 in Grantham , Lincolnshire.....a place which was once voted the most boring English town....I had a happy but misspent childhood. Didn't achieve much at school and if the truth be known I didn't have that much success with girls either.
Nevertheless , through a work apprentice scheme I managed to do well on a business a studies course which thankfully opened up an opportunity to go to university. Seizing this with both hands I followed my girlfriend at the time to Sheffield to study law. Despite being a mature student I allowed my studies to take second place to a new and wonderful pastime.....BRIDGE.
Not surprisingly I ended up with a naff degree but an ability to play the game, and loads of happy memories.
Having got accustomed to term breaks and long holidays , teaching jobs naturally had a certain appeal. So further years of study were spent gaining a teaching certificate and a diploma in management studies , to aid my successfully application for a post at Chesterfield college of FE. Here I remained for 26 years before I took voluntary redundancy. As a dinosaur, maverick and cavalier my days at Chesterfield were always numbered once performance targets were introduced , along with all the required volumes of documented evidence. Bureaucracy gone mad !
Not long after starting work I married a wonderful woman called Pam, who I love as much today as I did 35 years ago. We had two children but fostered many others on a social services respite carer scheme. 
My achievements as a bridge player are nearly all at the club trophy level , except for the odd success at regional tournaments, which I occasionally attended. Around 2006 I took up the post as the club's newsletter editor, but the degree of apathy within the membership forced me to produce most of the articles. This resulted in all my alter egos chipping in with contributions turning a very factual newsletter into something far more bizarre and satirical.
Eventually the club committee couldn't stomach it anymore,  and censorship reared its ugly head. I resigned only to turn my attention and efforts to blogging, which I love doing immensely. There is a freedom in operating in cyber space where one's fantasies and imagination can run wild.
I regard myself as " very ordinary " and therefore riddled with faults and shortcomings, so often associated with men : lazy , impatient , inattentive , awkward, deceitful , selfish , lacking in empathy and single minded . On the plus side I regard myself as loving , loyal , reliable and inventive. I hate injustice and I constantly believe in compromise and reconciliation whenever disputes are on the agenda.


    
   
  

No comments: