Monday 20 June 2011

REBECCA ROOD'S MAILBAG.....................
Dear Rebecca,
I don't know if you have read Professor Hu Chi KI Chi's recent blog, but I have to say in no uncertain terms that even to suggest a link once existed between bridge and satanic practices centuries ago is an outrage.
I find all this mumbo jumbo about the devil taking over bridge players very distressing indeed. I don't believe it for one second, and I would kill any man who iis prepared to spout the same clap trap. I don't trust that mealy mouthed professor one bit. He is a complete charlatan and disreputable academic.
Bridge is a beautiful game played by extremely God fearing, decent, honest folk, who set out to create a social and friendly environment for all to enjoy the duplicate experience. For anyone to suggest dark forces lurk in every bridge club is not only guilty of blasphemy, but also guilty of telling the biggest porkies ever.
Yours hoping this letter will have enlightened you , Nadia C. Moore
Dear Nadia ,
To a small extent I share your sentiments, but not only you are in self-denial, you continue to live in the make-believe world.
The professor is a very dedicated historian, who really knows his stuff. His research methods are impeccable. He strives to be both objective and honest with regards to any published facts, and the logical conclusions which can be drawn from them.
As for the " devil within " argument, I'm afraid I'm with the professor all the way. Why just the other day I witnessed a player, renown for taking a peep or two at opponents' cards, rotate his head a full 360 degrees. Moreover, there are players in my club who claim that whenever " they see red " , they are solely referring to the colour of another player's eyes.
So yes, there is a great deal of truth in what the good professor says. It is you who comes across as a blinkered and biased tosspot.
Yours as always.... openly minded and openly Rood

No comments: